Saturday, March 22, 2008

Everyday Love

In case no one has noticed, all my posts titles are song titles as well. Some days, I will scroll through my i-tunes library and choose a cool sounding title and post something that suites the song title. Other days, I choose a song that has lyrics that describe my day, and still other days I scroll through the i-tunes library and find nothing, then I log onto some lyrics site and read lyrics for half an hour and realize I have a song in the library that would suite something I have been contemplating writing. Today, I had nothing @ all then I saw this title and realized I didn't post anything about my parents recent anniversary. So, here goes.

My parents have been married for 29 years. Yes, to each other and no one else, ever. I didn't look up any statistics on marriage, but the media has us believing it is a rare thing for people to actually make it to the "death do us part" of marriage. I am fortunate to know several couples that have been together for many years and will be together for many more. (Dom and I have been together for 8 years...WOW!)

I know that my parents began with nothing. My parents both grew up poor so there were no trust funds or college funds or funds period for them. They found each other and they made their way together in this world. My parents have grown over the years. They didn't always seem to grow together. I watched my parents almost split up 5 or 6 years ago. I commented to my dad that if they didn't make it I didn't know how I could have faith in my relationships. What one has to do with the other I really have no clue. I believe I just wanted to let my dad know I always thought of them and their relationship as an example, even as an adult. My parents worked it out and they have always supported each other weather they took care of each other is another story. All in all, I admire my parents. They are not in any kind of consumer debt, they own some properties, they have good retirement packages for when the day comes, and they have each other.

My parents seemed to me, when I was little, as a couple that were infatuated with each other. They were always kissing and holding hands and whispering to one another. Then there was a long period when they both worked so much I forgot what they looked liked. Suddenly I was an adult and soon after my parents went through a tough time in their relationship. They worked it out and they seemed to love each other more than ever. My parents are not one of those older couples that fight, argue or disagree all the time, though they have their quirks. My parents love each other, respect each other and have grown together after all these years. I don't know if anyone thinks theirs is a great love story, but they are in love and I admire them.

I hope everyday I let my family know how much I love them. Since I have posted this, I feel as though it is a good reminder to always make sure I am affectionate to Dom as well as the kids. He is going to San Antonio this week and since my amazing sister is in the police academy and my mom has recently returned to her career, I cannot go with him. San Antonio has many memories for us. We used to hang out on the River Walk often when we were first together. Dom has also been talking about going overseas again maybe a deployment maybe contract work. I know he will be gone for @ least a year. I am starting to miss him again, even though he is right here. Vacation, vacation, vacation.

2 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

I didn't know your post titles were songs, now this one is stuck in my head,lol. Perfect title for the post too. What wonderful parents you have and a great marriage they modeled for you! How lucky you are!

Sarah, Chris, Elijah & Sadie said...

Cool post. I didn't know they were song titles either. I hope that you and Dom can steal some time away together here and there. It's amazing to reconnect. To bad SA won't work out- this time. I, too, have found an amazing relationship and a lasting bond that I value deeply. It's a great feeling and one you don't hear too much about these days... Even the people who are together are complaining!