Thursday, March 20, 2008

We Never Change

Busy, busy, busy...I don't think I will be able to catch up on all the things we have been doing. I will just have to add photos as I can.
I think this blog entry may appear as a group of random thoughts to elaborate on more later.
Do you ever just leave your kids in the yard to play all by themselves? Do you secretly watch from the window? I was cleaning the house while the boys were playing in the yard. There are four windows along that side of the house all looking into the yard from a different room so I could watch them from whatever room I was in. I left the windows open so I could hear them. The boys didn't communicate verbally @ all. They were laughing and giggling together and they followed each other and played together and they even disagreed-all in silence. We have a couple of the big battery operated plastic jeeps for the girls (2 small ones for the boys too but they prefer the larger ones.) There are all kind of movable parts on the jeeps, phones, windshields, the bar across the back with the non working lights attached. The windshield was up. Apparently, as they were driving, Luke felt it needed to be down, so he leaned forward and pushed it down. This displeased Ezra, he reached up and put the windshield back in place. Luke placed the windshield down, Ezra returned it to its upright position, Luke put it down again. This went on and on. The boys left it alone for a bit and then one of the boys moved the windshield and the silent disagreement continued. After this Luke and Ezra decided they didn't want to play together any more and they put the length of the yard between them. I went to put clothes in the dryer. When I peered out the window again in a few minutes both boys were playing in some water they discovered in a pail. I spoke to them through the slightly open blinds in my best motherly voice, "please stop playing in that water and go play with your jeeps." Luke looked right @ the window I was standing @ and then turned and walked away from the water. Ezra also looked directly @ the window I was standing @, he didn't see me and he continued to play in the water. I asked him about 3 times to play with something else. Ezra knew I was @ the window but I feel like he thought I didn't really see him. I walked to the front of the house, peered through blinds in another room, Ezra's playing in the water. I went outside, once he sees me he leaves the pail of water.
I am aware this does not make for riveting blog reading but these are memories for me. It was a bit of study for me about twins and communication. It was also a bit of psychology for me, observing the children's behavior when they believe they are alone. I am trying to find more peace in everyday life. Our family has chosen to participate in a learning co-op in the coming months. There is a great deal of work in trying to contribute to a leaning co-op. I am trying to let Mady make choices for herself. I am trying to help provide opportunities for Mady to participate in learning activities she feels she is interested in. I am also trying to give myself an education I would not have appreciated as a child but feel I am interested in now, as a, dare I name it? Adult!
One of the things that has caught my interest lately is a book titled "The Fourth Turning" authored by William Strauss and Neil Howe. I have not read it yet but I have read about it and read about the meaning of the fourth turning. This little search led me back to more classics.

Is anyone else captivated by the way history repeats itself? Do other people sit around and wonder when our next crisis will happen? What will the crisis be? Will our country, population, society, triumph or will we fall like the Roman Empire? Do other people ponder the fact that we are all connected? Every person all over the globe is connected, not just to each other now, but to past and future generations? Yes, other people do ponder these things. Other people have had these same thoughts before me and still others will have them after me. Now to expose my children to past events which have shaped our lives and continue to document how the things we, as a family, are doing now to effect future generations.

Did you ever see a picture of a relative framed in you grandparents house and wonder, who is that? Obviously it is someone important and close to your grandparents, but you don't know who. Now, I am beginning to think it doesn't matter so much if you know who that nameless relative in the photo is as long as one can appreciate the fact that whatever this relative did here on earth, they are a part of who you are, genetically as well as, psychologically, socially and so on.

2 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

I love to watch my kids through the windows when they play, I don't get much done like that, but it's interesting to see how they behave on their "own". Funny little scenario about the jeep and their silent communication,lol.
It's amazing to me that history repeats itself, yet we don't learn from it!
You should do genealogy, but I warn you, it's addicting. I love to read about our ancestors and what life was like for them. We sure have it easy now!
Have a Happy Easter!

Mel said...

I agree that history repeats itself but I am uncertain we have life any easier. I think we have different kinds of difficulties than our ancestors. We have all this wonderful technology our ancestors didn't have but our overwhelming population is killing our once stunningly beautiful and abundant earth. In the meantime, science attempts to create ways to keep the dieing alive...I better stop this could get crazy!

Good night,
Mel