Friday, August 22, 2008

Friends in Low Places















I had to help my sister with something for the police academy. The Cadets are currently doing the DWI portion of the training program. Clearly you can't learn about the effects of alcohol on the human body without some human bodies. I volunteered to allow the FWPD to serve me alcohol and use my body as a subject in the DWI training. The evening started out with all volunteers being weighed in and the trainers mixing drinks according to a scientific formula. (blood alcohol content=BAC and is reported as grams of alcohol per liter of blood.) The goal of the evening was to have a room full of volunteers with differing blood alcohol content for the cadets to test. The evening progresses interestingly enough. Some people were very inebriated. The person with the highest blood alcohol level ended up @ our table. I won't name names but I think you will know who it is from the pix. I was asked not to photograph officers or cadets @ all, and I could only take photos of people with their permission. I walked to each table before the first drink was consumed and asked if I could take photos and BLOG this. Not one person in their sober state denied my tiny request. They all wanted the website name. I passed it out to some of the cadets.

@ the end of the night my final blood alcohol content was .97. I was legally intoxicated. Julie's BAC was greater than mine I think. I believe I have a picture or 2 of Jules in her highly intoxicated state. I can always tell when Jules has had a little much bc she begins to...talk! I have pictures of Julie talking. We had a blast and I think the cadets found it fairly easy to tell who was drunk and who was not. Apparently the pen test is designed for you to fail, period.
Here is a link to BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

Each volunteer had a DD for the night so there were no worries about us breaking any laws but everyone should know their rights. We had a good time.
Usually the trainers have board games and what not for the drunks, er um, volunteers to help pass the time. For whatever reason, there were no games last night. We made our own. We played tally the curse words of our drunken table mates and harass thee officers assigned bathroom guard duty! There were officers assigned to watch the restrooms in case we tried to sneak something in or out I guess. Someone pulled out a fake million dollar bill...I don't know, people are crazy after a properly formulated drink. The picture that shows everyone sitting in a group of chairs in the center of the room was when the sobriety tests began. I had to stop shooting then since the cadets were the ones testing and I was ask not to photograph them.

After it was all said and done, we went to Ol' South Pancake House. Damn, you want to go there? I don't have my letterbox clues! (Yes, there is a letterbox there!)Jess went on to explain to us how the sobriety tests work. Verrdddyyy interesting.

4 comments:

Mel said...

Blogger does it again with the pictures out of order...

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

What interesting volunteer work, where do I sign up!?!?

KMDuff said...

Hilarious!

RoniJoy said...

How fun is that!!

And, yay! for Aunt Jessie & all that she is accomplishing! Very cool!!