Monday, August 18, 2008

Into the Ocean (Let the rain come down)
















What do you do on a rainy day? Well, you could fold the giant pile of laundry that magically appeared on the sofa while you were gone Sunday, clean the stove, or the closets, you could longingly stare out the back door @ your toys. No...no. None of those seemed right. After some reading on Hindu holidays, and some train play, we decided we would go to Aunt Jessie's and clean up her house since she has been so busy studying. The plan-clean up, have something yummy cooking in the crockpot, leave before either Aunt Jessie or Aunt Julie arrived home. My sister arrived home before the time she usually arrives home and caught us in the act. So, we threw a couple pieces of chicken on the stove and stayed for dinner. After dinner the drizzle called for a barefoot walk. We took the pups for a walk and played a bit @ the playground. Apparently, Jess scored a 98 on one of the final tests! We also spent Friday evening with Jess & Jules. Check out the pictures of the boys in chocolate! Yes, "in" chocolate.

We hungout with Papaw and Pam and Bill yesterday afternoon for a bit. Niki, Luke, & Ezra played in Bill's shop while Mady drove the farm truck. I haven't posted much lately. Sometimes I just grow tired of posting our lives on here. I never stop taking pictures and I store them online in a photo book as well as on a portable storage disk just in case. I would rather record our lives with pictures. Seems to me no one person's description, or story, about a picture can say as much as the picture itself. I suppose I should also consider that our blog will also end up being a portfolio so I probably need to take more pictures of things we actually make and in the process of making them. We cook often and the kids help with that too. I just never stop to take pictures. It seems kinda unnatural to me I guess. I prefer taking pictures outside anyway. I feel inspired by nature. I have tons of photos of flowers. I don't even know what some of them are named but, they are beautiful, so they have a spot in the photo book too.

All this cool weather makes me want to get outside. I tried looking up the weather for Linden @ the cabin, it is raining out there too. Once the rain stops, the temperature is suppose to rise up to 95 again. We checked the Farmer's Almanac and discovered the weather should cool down around mid September. We have some commitments around that time though. We may only get to stay @ the cabin for a short time. Who knows. I love it @ the cabin. Life is simpler. It feels more authentic. Nothing feels like work there,it's just life. There are no expectations, or schedules, just living. Whatever we (or I) am missing here @ home isn't missing when we are in Linden @ the cabin. I can't wait to go back. I haven't stopped thinking about it all summer.

3 comments:

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

Your pictures are so great! Your camera (and the photographer!) must be awesome. I like to let the pictures tell the story as well. I'm not much of a writer, so they do a much better job. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun in the rain, I love the picture of your flooded driveway! I don't think we got that much.

Mel said...

Thanks Christa. I think it is the camera (Sony a200) that has made the difference. When I was using the point and click I could see what I wanted to snap a shot of-it just never turned out how I saw it. Now I can zoom more and this camera takes 3 shots in just under 10 seconds, so I get the smile all the time. I am looking for a new lens for X-mas! I miss not having video on this camera and I am planning on purchasing Mady the Sony camera I used to have so she can take her pix and we can do video again.

RoniJoy said...

I agree - Awesome photos!

And, I think you've got us beat with the puddle/lake in the driveway. My kids would LOVE to play in that. :-)

Life out at your cabin sounds wonderful. I, too, long for simpler times. I would love it if we could have a farm -- have some livestock, big ass garden & be as self-sufficient as possible. It would be a lot of work -- but, the "real" and "basic" kind of work, ya know. Ah...just gotta win the lottery first. :-)