Wednesday, July 2, 2008

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


Mady and I took a canning class last week @ the County Extension office. During the course of the day we realized we were surrounded by homeschoolers. Once we struck up conversations Mady realized she had a great deal in common with these particular homeschoolers-they love animals too! All of them are in 4H and began talking with Mady about the Vet Science program they are involved in. As they spoke I could see Mady's expressions and realized she was completely absorbed by what they were talking about. After talking with Mady @ length this weekend about all the pros and cons of this program, she has decided to take the leap and become involved with the 5 year Vet Science program.

I think this is the beginning of a great adventure for Mady-one of her own, one where I won't always be, not like pet sitting and baby sitting which she has done in our home. This adventure will set her out in the world on her own working with people who work with animals for a living. Some of the activities that have been mentioned are volunteering with a farrier, visiting a sonogram lab, & performing a necropsy, to name a few.

Our kids constantly amaze me. Ezra and Luke have started using the potty-on their own! The only way I have been involved in that was bc I was the one that dug the tiny plastic potty out of the attic and scrubbed it and placed it in the bathroom next to the big potty. They usually follow me in there anyway...so there you have it, some major milestones in the kids lives all achieved with little to no help from me. I am in awe. The more and more I let go of all these old paradigams and societies standards the more happy everyone seems and the more they really are learning when I am not standing over them "making" them learn. It's a shiny moment! :)

4 comments:

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

Isn't it amazing!

KMDuff said...

Those are awesome moments! Mady looks so grown up too in that cooking shot.

RoniJoy said...

Kids are truly amazing.

And, that's so awesome that Mady has found something like that! I know how much she loves animals.

Chrispy said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post! First of all, Mady just radiates calm and beauty in that picture. Secondly, yay for all of these wonderful self-motivated realizations and milestones!!