Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pile of Doubt

As an unschooler, sometimes do ya feel as though no one @ your house has done much lately? I know when I feel this way all I have to do is really think about what we have done. I mean, I know I have this blog and I started it with the purpose of maintaining a record of what we do. It has really turned into more of a photo album, which I don't mind but maybe I need to occasionally write something about what we actually do around here!

So we called Aunt Jessie today to tell her Happy Birthday! and she asked us what we did today. I went on to say it ended up being game day. We played Set, Blokus, Blink, Crazy 8's, & a bit of Monopoly. Niki painted a lovely picture (picture to come) and we of course jumped on the trampoline, played crash car derby with the new cars Daddy brought home, and went to the store to get some new board games. Bc, yes just as with the books, once we played all the games Niki deems fun in one day, we decided we need more games. @ the store Niki found some pirate garb, toy swords, toy guns, and knights shields which she proceeded to play with there in the isle. She fore footed all that booty for a "My Little Pony" doll with bottle and one toy gun. The girl cracks me up. We had to do some budgeting and all the things both of us chose were not in the budget. We split the money I had between the two of us. I got the boys some toy tractors, plastic dress up hats, and a strange tiny plastic horse which you set in water for 72 hours and watch it grow to 600 times it's original size! I also got Parcheesi, Yahtzee, and Uno. These games conjure fun memories for Dom and me as kids, so I thought I would get them to see if we could make some fun memories with our kids. You can see from the comparison that Niki's pony baby she just had to have was a tiny bit expensive.

We came home and checked on our Webkinz and I got online and read her some political satire links I found on one of our group posts. I was excited that she asked me to read it to her until I looked @ her to ask if she understood what I had read only to discover she was asleep! What a day!

So, are we unschoolers? Yes. But with all the talk/reading of late I think I have to add that we practice a child led life style. I think the term unschooling is so vague. We obviously do things all day and I know the babes are learning. Sometimes I just need to put my pile of doubt aside and make sure I am trusting our kids. They know themselves and I always witness what they have learned when I truly let go of expectations. Now time to crawl into my bed and see whose in it tonight.

3 comments:

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

Sounds like you had a full fun day. Brett had one of those grow in water things, but his was Spiderman, he loved it! You are right, unschooling is such a broad term. I like to think that we are all doing well at letting go of expectations, but looking back at all the things we do makes it easier!

KMDuff said...

What a busy fun day. Sounds awesome. :)

RoniJoy said...

I like calling it a child-lead life, too. :-)

Until I started my blog, when people would ask me what we had been doing recently all I could say was: "You know. I don't really know. But I do know that I didn't sit down very much." :-)