Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sweet...

one word to describe the day today. I spent most of the day with Niki while Big Daddy stayed home with the boys. We started the day by ourselves when we picked up Reeses from the vet. (That is for another post.) We had donuts for breakfast. Niki rarely gets to eat anything so sweet but since yesterday was difficult for all of us (Reeses accident) we decided a morning spike in the blood sugar would easily be recovered from by mid-afternoon. Once we arrived home Daddy was off to do "Daddy" things and we all jumped on the trampoline. The boys napped and Niki and I read book after book from the library. We haven't been to the library in about 3 weeks. Every time we make it there I rarely locate anything I am looking for since I am chasing the boys around. The boys each chose books, Luke found a giant reference book on classic cars and Ezra found some Dinosaur books. Niki chose some books on Egypt and I got some craft/activity books since our local library has nothing decent to read besides classic literature-which is fine if you don't already own all the classic literature one person can stand! We made it to the check out counter, where the boys sat on the counter and watched the librarian sticker all our books, when suddenly the fire alarm begins blaring. I turn around because the screaming alarm is directly behind me, and I see Niki standing near the fire alarm with her hands behind her back and an embarrassed look on her face. I smiled @ her and she came over to my side. The children's librarian walked past quickly, smiling as she went, to the back office to call the fire department to alert them of the false alarm. The librarian behind the counter did not smile, or comment, or laugh. I smiled as I told her I was sorry, though I wanted to laugh! We all lugged our heavy books outside and loaded up in the Beast and drove home listening to our music loudly.

Flash forward to this afternoon and Niki is sitting in the kitchen in a sea of books asking me to tell her every other word on the page. We played on Wekinz and Club Penguin and then we decided once Big Daddy was home we wanted to go to the new park here in our town. We took one of our friends with us. Then it was onto the book store, as if we need more books! We spent 2 hours there choosing books for everyone. Once we arrived home we had to read ALL of them and play Pirates of the Carribeain. We also watched a movie we purchased. Now I think I may get to sleep...maybe not. Niki is still up asking to play now. We are planning our next big toy purchase!

5 comments:

KMDuff said...

Can you ever have enough books?

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

Wow what a day! Glad at least one of the librarians were smiling ;-)

RoniJoy said...

What an awesome day!

I love the fire alarm story. What a cool and groovy mom you are for finding laughter not anger. :-)

And, I truly believe that one can NEVER have too many books. :-)

Mel said...

Library trips are HILARIOUS for us. Usually Luke and/or Ezra are giving the librarians headaches. So when the fire alarm went off I wasn't expecting to see Niki there. It was an awesome trip! I think we will drop these books off in the book drop and go visit another city's library for the rest of the month!

Chrispy said...

I'm so impressed that you were able to react to the Library Incident with humor!