Thursday, July 24, 2008

Intuition






















All the reading I have been able to do lately (research for the unschooling discussion with Dom in late August) is only further proof that respecting children as our equals, instead of second class citizens is natural. John Holt wrote it, A.S. Neill wrote it, John Taylor Gatto wrote it, Alison McKee, Mary Griffith, Valerie Fitzenreiter, Pam Leo, Gordon Neufeld, and the list of authors with tried and tested research, and life experience supporting these beliefs goes on and on. Not to mention the over 100 kids I have met in our local area who live their lives unschooling or educating themselves. These children are amazing. When I ask these kids questions about their interests they are always able to articulate what they know and hope to learn regarding their interests. We do live on a street where almost all the neighbors attend public schools. I find it difficult to find a child attending public school that has a deep interest they feel worth while to pursue. I am not certain what exactly is holding Dom up deciding to say yes to Niki staying home. I don't see any positives about attending public schools any longer.

Anyway, since I figured out what the hell I am doing with this camera of mine I can post pix of everything we have been up to. We have visited several of our friends @ our house and theirs, we have had various music lessons-thanks Malina for being patient while the boys banged away on your piano and thanks Bill for giving the boys their own guitar! Casey-thanks for the keyboarding fun too! We are into trying to meet people locally who are willing to contribute to our family interests. Bill has a band and lets us come to practice every week. The boys love singing and dancing and playing all the instruments. Bill also has an awesome garage. It is fully equiped with every ratchet, wrench, and screwdriver any one grown person, or four young people could ever need. We visited one of friends who tends a huge garden. The family has offered to help us work on beginning a community garden! While I think this is awesome, I don't think the kids have any interest in it besides digging in the dirt! We have played in the pool, watched alligators eat, went fishing, and met everyone we didn't know in our neighborhood in the last week or so. Again, while I am not certain if the kids actually have any interest in the community thing right now, they did get to meet one family of kids we didn't know before and they have all been playing together everyday we have been home. We have built with our new train tracks, (purchase inspired by a trip to our friends house) and Lincoln Logs, and Legos, painted, vacuumed, yes that was something worth mentioning bc everyone fights over who gets to vacuume! Dom and I went to watch "Wanted" yes, a new assassin movie and Angelina Jolie-could it be anything but good? After the assassin movie we had to go to the range and zero the scopes on the new weapons. I am now the proud owner of my very own pistol. While I have been shooting all my life, this is my first, and very own, pistol. Did I already say that?

And to top it all off we are all working on respecting one another more and things seem much more relaxed here.

9 comments:

Mel said...

I walked in from being outside to find the boys drinking from the milk carton...I took a picture as quickly as possible! I loaded all these backwards to so maybe scroll up when you look @ them.

Christa, Queen of the Blog said...

Wow, you have been busy!!!

KMDuff said...

Train tracks are so much fun! :)

Vacuuming is something we have to take turns at too - everyone wants to do it.

I love your photos! They are awesome!

RoniJoy said...

Yea! for being able to load photos! You've got some great ones! I love the "chugging from the milk jug" one. :-)

That day at the fishery looks awesome! (love the boys' haircuts, btw).

Very cool about owning your own pistol!! I grew up using guns (mostly rifles -- & I LOVED the M16 when I was in ROTC) but do not own one. (yet) :-)

Do you have a book (about unschooling/parenting/etc.), at this point, that you would call your favorite -- one that you find yourself returning to?

Mel said...

Thanks Ronet. Dom has an AR15 which is probably close to the M16-fun to shoot!

I love all of John Holt's books I have read and am really into his "Instead of Education" right now. I also like John Taylor Gatto. In my mind both these authors present a philosophy that learning is where you live. (Hope that isn't to vague...) I myself have a deep need for human connection and I think it's a natural need we are born with. I also think that today's society stands against all of our natural human needs. I think that both John Holt and John Taylor Gatto emphasize in their books that it is vital for our children to learn from their immediate community-the way it used to be-before that practice is gone forever.

What about you Ronet? What's your favorite, righ now?

Chrispy said...

Love the pictures!! The milk one is my favorite. :) Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about unschooling as well.

RoniJoy said...

Most of the books I've been reading recently deal with parenting more than learning. I read the into to John Taylor Gatto's old book (Underground something) and that COMPLETELY sold me on the idea that public school just isn't the right place to learn). And, how NATURAL learning is.

My favorite parenting books are: 1) "Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves" by Naomi Aldort -- this book was revolutionary for me; 2) "Unconditional Parenting" by Alfie Kohn; and I'm really enjoying a little book called, "Momfulness" by Denise Roy. I have, also, found Byron Katie's book, "Loving What Is" really helpful in changing so much about the way I think. It has helped with my relationships with myself, my husband, and my children.

Mel said...

I have been hearing the name Byron Katie mentioned lately. Do you have that book? May I borrow it?

I do love John Taylor Gatto. He is the author that led me to John Holt and eventually, unschooling.

FYI-we found the LEAP frog dvd @ Wal-Mart (yes I typed it that foresaken place!) for $5. Niki watched it perpetually the first 2 days we had it and a couple of times subsequently. I think she is "getting" it and she loves the songs and sounds. Thanks to all for that suggestion.

RoniJoy said...

Yup, I have the Byron Katie book. And, Yup, you can borrow it. :-)

Which Leap Frog video did you get? ($5 is a great price, btw) I can still work on getting copies of the other ones for you.